tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 17 23:00:10 2002

Re: subjectless verbs

ja' Andrew Strader <[email protected]>:
>Certainly some verbs are special: SIS and peD in particular. According to
>Okrand they take no subject, and they probably take no object either. They
>are unique in that sense.

Their special nature is not that they take no subject.  I think it's more
like their subject is so completely associated with the action that one
rarely, if ever, makes it explicit.  Unless you're speaking metaphorically,
there's generally only one thing that ever rains or snows.

Also, the explanation relayed to us by DloraH says that these verbs *can*
have objects, as in "the clouds rained down cats and dogs" or the like.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level