tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 04 12:39:09 2002

Re: Picture of desktop in English, tlhIngan & piqad

> HaSta De'         De'wI'wIj             yIrarwI'             legh
> Visual Display Data   my computer       you connect          see
>  You connect to see pictures of my computer

You put yI- on rar making it a command, telling people to do something; and you
put -wI' on there turning it into a noun.  These two can't go together.  You
also used this on your computer display along with yIchoHwI' which has the same
problem.

Without the -wI', the only thing I can come up with is:
"Connect my computer of the visual display's data.  He sees it."

When using /rar/ you most likely need more that one thing that is being
connected.  /rar/ doesn't mean "connect to".

Canon example with /rar/:

tlhIngan nISwI' beH   Klingon Disruptor Rifle

nISwI' HIch motlh HoS Hal qengwI' naQ tIq je lurarlu'bogh 'oH tlhIngan nISwI'
beH'e'.  SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna' ghurmoH
naQvam.

The Klingon disruptor rifle is a standard hand held disruptor, attached to an
extended power supply stock. This serves to steady the aim of a warrior and
increase the effective range for distance targeting.
<<<

I'm not sure what verb would be better.  We don't know if klingons think the
same as we do with "Cyber Space" and use /ghoS/.
I suppose we could use /naw'/ "access".

De'wI'wIj yInaw'.  HeStawIj yIlegh.

On your display...

yaHQap, you created a compound noun, and did so by connecting a noun and a
verb.  "Functioning Duty station"?  "workstation" and "duty station" can mean
the same thing.  You could go with just yaH.  /{vmware} yaH/.  I'm not
completely sure what this takes us to; we have a word /SeHlaw/ "control
panel".  I'm sure others will offer other options.

"edit visual display data", again there is more than one way to do
this.  /HaSta De' choHwI'/ "Visual Display Data Changer".  /HaSta De'
choHlu'/ "Visual Display Data Is Changed".

qawHaq'a' naw'wI' "main data banks accessor"
qawHaq'a' naw'lu' "main data banks are accessed"
qawHaq is already plural, "data banks".  /qawHaqmey/ I guess would be multiple
groups of [data banks (plural)].

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level