tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 24 11:07:50 2002

RE: wot <tatlh>

Stephan wrote:
> > >qar mu'tlhegh wej, 'ach /chegh/ mu' qaq law' /tatlh'egh/ mu' qaq puS.
> >
> > reH qaq 'ay' wa' neH ghajbogh mu'?
> > (is a word that has only on component always preferable?)

DloraH, BG:
>Not necessarily; but why say more than you need to.
>In this case it is not simply being shorter, it is the definitions of the
>words that make one more preferable.
>
>Check the thread for Voragh's messages about the canon of the words.

Here's the relevant portion of Okrand's post on startrek.klingon (July 1999):

                        [...] Though not common, it is also possible to use
   {tatlh} with the reflexive suffix {-'egh} ("do something to oneself") to
   convey a meaning similar to that of {chegh}: {pa'Daq jItatlh'egh} "I return
   to the room" [...] The {tatlh'egh} form seems to suggest that the doer of
   the action is forcing himself/herself to do something, perhaps because it
   is difficult or not desirable.

Note the implication of {tatlh'egh}: "the doer of the action is forcing
himself/herself to do something, perhaps because it is difficult or not
desirable."  For example, after lunch at work I often hear:

   DaH yaHwIjDaq jItatlh'eghnIS.
   I've got to get back to work ("my duty station") now.

As it happens, Okrand also discussed {chegh} "return, return to a place" in
the same post:

   {chegh} "return" seems to work like this:

     lupDujHomDaq jIchegh         "I return on the shuttle."
     lupDujHom vIchegh            "I return to the shuttle."
     lupDujHomDaq may'Duj vIchegh "I return to the battle cruiser on the
shuttle"
     tera'vo' Qo'noS vIchegh      "I return to Kronos from Earth" [...]

   Note that {chegh} "return" means "return to a place"; the place being
returned
   to is the object of the verb. If the place being returned to is not
mentioned
   (as in, for example, the first sentence above, "I return on the
shuttle"), the
   verb takes a prefix indicating "no object" (here {jI-}). If the place being
   returned to is mentioned (as in the final three sentences), the verb takes a
   pronominal prefix that indicates the object ({vI-} in the examples).

Further examples of {chegh}:

   DaH machegh
   [We're returning now. (untranslated)] ST6

   wa'leS jIchegh
   Tomorrow I will return. KGT

--
Voragh