tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 11 23:07:40 2002

Re: Chelsea

>Hi Sangqar,
>
>Thanks for the tip, although I thought Q was more like "ch" in Scottish.
>The sound I'm trying for is like a k followed by that harsh CH. Ah well.
>Thanks for the advice.

I thought (based on the spelling Kelrah) that your were going for a standard
English 'k'.  'Q' may be the best choice after all for the sound you
describe above:

H This is also not like anything in English, but it is just like ch in the
name of the German composer Bach or in the Yiddish toast l'chaim, or the j
in the Mexican city of Tijuana in Baja California.

q Similar to English k in kumquat, but not quite that. The tongue position
for English k is like that for Klingon gh and H. To produce Klingon q, the
main body of the tongue touches the roof of the mouth at a point farther
back than it does for gh or H. Indeed, the tongue reaches for or touches the
uvula (the meshy blob that dangles down from the back of the roof of the
mouth), so articulating q approximates the
sound of choking. The sound is usually accompanied by a slight puff of air.

Q This is like nothing particularly noteworthy in English. It is an overdone
Klingon q. It is identical to q except that it is very guttural and raspy
and strongly articulated, somewhat like a blend of Klingon q and H.

>qelra'

Sangqar