tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 25 11:52:43 2002

RE: ? about a word.

Qov:
>> The example on page 69 of TKD shows that the subject of {So'} hides
>> itself, not something else.

DloraH:
> I don't have my TKD with me right now so I don't know the example
> mentioned, but I know we have {So'wI'} - cloaking device. This
> suggests to me that the subject hides an object (ie: a ship).

charghwI':
: While I don't have the direct quotes with me, I have {So'} as being used
: both transitively and intransitively, just like in English. I hide. I
: hide your present. The citations I have for it are:
:   TKD word list
:   TKW page 182
:   TKD page 69
:   HolQeD vol 8, no 4, page 12
: Anyone who would like to check out those sources could easily resolve
: this.

That's my cue...

  nuqDaq So'taH yaS
  Where is the officer hiding? TKD

  yISo'rup
  Prepare to cloak. ST5

  HIvmeH Duj So'lu'
  A ship cloaks in order to attack. TKW

  "It is also appropriate to say {Duj So'} (He/she cloaks the ship)
   or {Duj So'lu'pu'} (The ship is cloaked; literally, 'Someone or
   something has cloaked the ship')." (KGT 54f)

  "The challenged party may agree to the duel by answering {vISo'be'}
   ("I don't hide it") or the lengthier {qabwIj vISo'be'} ("I don't
   hide my face"). This person is said to {'angchu'} ("show clearly"),
   the usual shorthand way of saying {qabDaj 'angchu'} ("He/she shows
   his/her face clearly")." (KGT 69)

Presumably {So'Ha'} "uncloak" works the same way, although we have fewer
examples:

  cha yIghuS. So'Ha'!
  [Arm torpedoes. Uncloak!] ST3 (untranslated)

  yISo'Ha'rup, yIghuS.
  Stand by to de-cloak for firing. ST5

If our attestations are representative, it appears that {So'} "hide, conceal,
cloak" usually takes an object, but doesn't have to (i.e. it's one of those
transitive verbs that can also be used intransitively).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level