tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 18 13:39:08 2002

Re: A couple of questions.

The simple truth is, we don't have a word for "knuckle". We can describe it
many ways. I doubt anybody can claim to have come up with the "right" way to
express anything for which we don't have a word, so there's little use in
arguing about. If you need to actually SAY something about your knuckle,
describe it:

SIHmeH DaqDaq 'oy' nItlhwIj.

QapHa'law' nItlhwIj SIHwI'. chaq ghorlu'.

jISuvtaHvIS nItlhwIj 'ay' jojDaq nItlh 'ay'wIj wItlhlu'. rarHa' nItlh 'ay'
rarwI'. 'oy'. regh. qay'be'. jeghwI' vIHoH. buy' ngop!

tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaHchu'be' nov. jIHvaD QormeH wanI' Del novvam 'e' nID
novvam. mu'mey yap Hutlhmo' novvam, wanI' 'aghmeH, ghopDu'Daj lo'. jegh Da wa'
ghop. SuvwI' Da latlh. chor 'oS chap. DeSDu' 'uSDu' je 'oS nItlhDu'. SentaHvIS,
pe'vIl nItlh qIvDaq jeghqoq HIv SuvwI'qoq...

In English, there is, to my knowledge, no word for that part of my lip where
the skin changes from face skin to lip skin, right in the corner on the left
side, even though that is a common location for zits, fever blisters and paper
cuts, so by all rights, it probably SHOULD have a word for it. I've lived 47
years without that word. Likely, you can live for a while without a Klingon
word for knuckle.

Just because someone asked for it doesn't mean we have to have one. The part we
keep forgetting is that what we really need is to write more stuff in Klingon
instead of just thinking up more words we think we need. It is so easy to get
off task here.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level