tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 13 18:22:04 2002

Re: Saj von Suq Qa'Hom cha'DIch'e'

From: <[email protected]>
> From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
> > /Saj von/ = "cheese"?  I don't think so . . . .
>
> Please give me a little break here ;-)
> Therefore I thought I'd be safe with [Food - Saj] and
> use the verb for [trap,entrap - von] adjectively to get [Saj von]...

Oh, that's why I didn't get it.  The word for "food" is /Soj/.  /Saj/ is
"pet (n)."  I thought you were trying (badly) to refer to the trap itself as
a "pet trap."

Note that to use an adjectivally acting verb, it must be a verb of quality.
/von/ is "entrap," not "be entrapped."  It cannot be used to modify a noun
in this way.

If you want to say "trapped food," say /Soj vonlu'pu'bogh/.  However, given
the meaning and usage of /von/, I think this would mean that the food cannot
escape.

Meanwhile, this saying is so tied up in non-Klingon things and sayings that
translating it makes it lose its meaning.  No wonder you were having
problems.  If you spoke to a Klingon about a second Qa'Hom acquiring trapped
food (even in the sense that you mean), he'd scratch his head and grunt with
incomprehension at you.  You've lost the idiomatic context.

SuStel
Stardate 2036.9

http://members.aol.com/dtrimboli

Back to archive top level