tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 25 20:13:21 2002

Re: agentive -wI'

jatlh Will:

>Please note that in that interview, he said that while that sort of usage
>might
>happen and people would understand what was meant, the correct use would
>still
>be {quvnISmoH}. He also explained, for example, that {ghojmoH} is listed in
>the
>dictionary not because it is a different root verb from {ghoj}, but because
>people trying to find "teach" in the English-Klingon side of the dictionary
>might not think to look up "learn" and add {-moH}.

qatlho'. Do'Ha' ja'chuqghachvam vIqawHa'ba'.
I did say "if I remember correctly"... which I obviously didn't. Thank you
for clearing this up.

>If it helps you understand how {-moH} works to think of a verb plus {-moH}
>as a
>separate verb root, fine. Meanwhile, don't overstate the significance of
>this
>idea as if it were some sort of universal truth that the rest of us should
>adopt in order to better understand the language. A lot of people deal with
>{-
>moH} the same way they deal with all the other suffixes, and they speak the
>language just fine.

luq. I'm not saying that it's a universal truth, I'm just saying that on the
evidence I had (which, as you have proven, was sketchy to useless in the
first place <g> ), this particular idea helped me understand better how
<<-moH>> worked, particularly on intransitive verbs.

For example, if I said <<qaSopqangmoH bISopbe'chugh SoH>> "I am willing to
feed you if YOU don't eat", it's a little confusing, as a relatively
inexperienced speaker, to translate this as "I am willing to cause you to
eat if you don't eat". If I view <<Sop-moH>> as a unit with the meaning "to
feed" (rather that "to cause (somebody) to eat), then it sits better in my
own mind, it translates better, and I can slot the suffixes of the first
three classes in as quasi-infixes rather than suffixes.

>Did you mean {-moHwI'}?

HISlaH :P

<... the examples of <<-moHwI'>> verbs in canon>

>That's it for examples in canon. Does this help?

HISlaH 'ej qatlho'bej. choQaHchu'pu'.

>Will

Qapla' 'ej Satlho'

ro'Han