tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 22 22:06:43 2002

Re: agentive -wI'

ro'Han wrote:
>Not having KCD, this is the first time I have seen this sentence, and I find
>it unusual. Literally translated, I get "I cannot understand (implicit: "the
>sentence") which you say". In my mind, it seems that <<Dajatlhbogh>> has
>been (semi-) nominalised with no supporting suffix.

As a side-question, why is the object only implicit?  I've seen this sentence
used before as an example of something weird or ambiguous, but I've never
understood why.  Isn't this sentence just a shorter way of saying {'oH
Dajatlhbogh SoH vIyajlaHbe'}?  Is there something wrong with that?

-Sengval

Back to archive top level