tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 21 12:17:42 2002

Re: Secret information?

I have a couple of questions about the definitions here.  In the dictionary that
I compiled meQ is defined as "burn".  Can you tell me where you found "be
burnt"?

Also pegh is defined as "secret (n), be secret (v), and keep something secret
(v)".  I couldn't remember where I found the "be secret" definition so I checked
charghwI's wordlist and it said it was in CK and PK.

QInteS

> Bah.  A lack of example usage is insufficient to declare a definition in TKD
> void.  We have seen waffly verbs before (e.g., meQ "burn" or "be burnt"),
> why can't /pegh/ be one of these?  For what it's worth, I fully accept and
> endorse peHruS' sentence.
>
> And as you pointed out, we DO have an example of /pegh/ with the transitive
> meaning:
>
> pegh vIttlhegh.
> A proverb keeps things secret.
>
> Just because the example doesn't employ an object doesn't mean it can't have
> one.  The verb still means "keep something secret," not "be secret."

> > Although *{peghmoH} may be grammatically
> > possible, Klingons may prefer using the verb {buv} instead.
>
> That's like saying that all humans like root beer because Chief O'Brien
> likes root beer.  It's a tremendous generalization based on a single
> example.
>
> SuStel
> Stardate 2142.6

Back to archive top level