tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 21 10:59:30 2002

Re: adverbials + -Ha'

charghwI':
 > jaSHa' wIwuq.

peHruS:
>At the 2000 qep'a' in conversation with MO, I went over the list I had
>prepared of adverbs + -Ha'. This was the very one which I was disappointed
>to learn from MO himself that it does NOT work.  He never explained why.

Interesting.  It would be nice to supplement the comments Okrand made in
HolQeD 4.4:

   "The word for 'dishonorably' is {batlhHa'}. This is clearly the adverbial
    {batlh} 'in an honored fashion' plus a suffix {-Ha'}, which might be
    analyzed as the negative suffix that follows verbs or else as a suffix
    identical in form (and meaning?) to it, but which appears with adverbials.
    Whether this {-Ha'} can be added to all adverbials is not clear. The
    notes taken while working with Maltz indicate that he balked at {vajHa'}
    (not thus?) but accepted {Do'Ha'} 'unfortunately'. Information on other
    adverbials has not yet been uncovered, though it is probably in the notes
    somewhere."

What other adverbials did you two discuss?  Do you still have the list?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level