tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 20 23:23:01 2002

RE: KLBC Practicing Locatives

> qach qoDDaq 'oH wIjwI''e'
> The farmer is inside the house.

Unless the farmer is a robot, he would prefer that you use {ghaH}.

qach is "building".  A house is a building, but a qach can be any building.
juH - Home.

> DaH HurDaq yIreH
> Go play outside now!
> (Adverbs, then locatives?)

It can, but doesn't have to.

> qul DungDaq ghotI' vut Human
> The human cooks the fish over the fire.

maj

> QongDaq bIngDaq So'taH nuch
> The coward is hiding under the bed.

maj

> pa'vo' qet nuch latlh
> Another coward runs from the room.

latlh nuch.

> nIHwI' bach lojmItDaq Qambogh jonwI'
> The engineer standing in the doorway shoots the thief.

I don't know if we know yet how to use bach.  Does someone shoot a gun, or
does someone shoot the target, or does the gun shoot a bullet?

> bebDaq vIghro' tlhe'pu' 'erna'
> It was definitely the 'er who chased the cat onto the roof.

'erna' - a real 'er, no doubt about it, it is definitely an 'er.
'erHey - possibly an 'er, I'm not sure, it is apparently an 'er.
'erqoq - a so-called 'er, you say it's an 'er but I don't agree.

Your sentence could work depending on how one reads it.  I'm not sure if
maybe you were trying for type 6 verb suffixes.

> qhIq bebvo' Suppu' vIghro 'ej lav bIngvo' 'er HIvpu' ghaH
> Then the cat jumped from the roof and attacked the 'er from under
> the shrub.

"Then the cat had already jumped from the roof and had already attacked the
'er from under a shrub."

-pu' and -ta' are not past tense, they are perfective aspect; meaning, at
the time of the timestamp the act has been completed.

wejHu' vIleghpu' - Three days ago I had already seen him.  It could have
been a year ago, it could have been four days ago; I don't specify.

wejleS vIleghpu' - Three days from now I will have already seen him.  Maybe
I will see him tommorrow.  Maybe I will see him today.  Maybe I saw him a
few days ago, or last year.  I don't specify.  I only say that when three
days from now gets here, the act of me seeing him will be completed.

> wa'Hu' HuD DopDaq pum nagh'a'mey Sormey je.
> Yesterday the boulders and trees fell down the hillside.
> (Timestamps come before locations right? The issue here is also about the
> word "down")

The time stamp is good.

...DopDaq pum..., fell on the hillside / fell at the hillside / etc.
How far "down" they fell depends how steep the hill is.

> navmeywIj botlhDaq Qong 'e' qap vIghro'
> The cat insists on sleeping in the middle of my papers.

maj

> 'uQ wISopDI' raS bIngDaq targ HIvpu' vIghro'
> While we were eating dinner the cat attacked the targ under the table
>
> (HISlaH.  naS vIgro'wIj  Yeah.  My cat is vicious)

verb suffix -pu'.

In this situation -DI' works ok, but just to be picky, -DI' is "as soon as,
when".  -taHvIS is "while".

The locative is good.

> And how would I say a superlative such as the bird lands in the highest
> tree?
> SorDaq jenbogh law' Saq bo'Degh SorDaq jen Hoch puS.
>    I am not sure about where to place the subject/main verb combination.

Use two sentences.
SarDaq Saq bo'Degh.  Sorvam jen law' Hoch jen puS.

As for practicing locatives, you did good.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level