tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 06 18:24:41 2002

Re: fish joke

> > gh as in enouGH  ("f")
> > o as in wOmen  ("i")
> > ti as in addiTIon  ("sh")
> > Thus, "ghoti" is pronounced "fish."
>
>I think I'm just going to ignore that. Most of the Okrandian jokes
>I've heard about actually HELP me to remember what the word are. They
>act as mnemonics. "ghoti" pronounced as "fish" really goes against
>that.

Actually, I don't think I'll ever forget that {ghotI'} is 'fish', but I was
previously familiar with this little joke.  It's really rather famous in
linguistics.

>ghotI' : swim with the FISHes, that I can remember.

To each his own mnemonics.  Gotti is far enough removed from ordinary
experience for me that this would not work for me.  That is, I would be
unlikely to see {ghotI'} and think 'Gotti', whereas I am extremely likely to
think of the joke.  And in the other direction, I would probably never
remember which gangster to associate with swim/sleep with the fishes.

>Kordite

-Sangqar