tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 06 12:10:09 2002

RE: KLBC: Challenge?

 >> For more information on this topic, read KGT p67-69 Duels and Challenges.
 >
 > I would look that up, but I don't have that book, sorry.
 > Couldn't find it in the book store.  I will definately order it.

Two extended quotes from KGT (Klingon for the Galactic Traveller):

   "Dueling--that is, challenging someone to a fight, usually to the death,
over a matter of honor--is a longstanding Klingon practice. The verb
meaning "duel" is Hay', and it may be properly used in such constructions
as Hay' chaH ("They duel"), Hay'chuq ("They duel one another"), or even
'avwI' Hay' yaS ("The officer duels the guard). To "duel to the death" is
Hay'chu' (literally, "duel perfectly"), and it may be used in the same
contexts: Hay'chu' chaH ("They duel to the death"); Hay'chuqchu' ("They
duel one another to the death").
   "A duel is preceded by one party issuing a challenge to the other. This
is expressed by using the phrase qabDaj 'ang (literally, "He/she shows
his/her face," referring to the Klingon tenet that a warrior always shows
his or her face in battle). To challenge someone to a duel, one will give
the command qablIj HI'ang ("Show me your face!"), though this is often
shortened to simply HI'ang ("Show me!"). When one does this, he or she is
said to "demand" or "require" (poQ), a short way to say qab legh 'e' poQ
("He/she demands to see a face").
   "There is some nonlinguistic behavior that may occur along with or
instead of the traditional phrases. To challenge one to a duel to the
death, one hits one's adversary with the back of the hand (chap). If one is
hitting someone for some other reason, such as simple enjoyment, one uses
the fist (ro'). The challenged party may agree to the duel by answering
vISo'be' ("I don't hide it") or the lengthier qabwIj vISo'be' ("I don't
hide my face"). This person is said to 'angchu' ("show clearly"), the usual
shorthand way of saying qabDaj 'angchu' ("He/she shows his/her face
clearly"). One accepts a challenge (qab 'ang [literally, "shows face"]) in
order to prove one's honor (quv tob [literally, "test honor conclusively"]).
   "Though any perceived attack on one's honor may prompt one to issue a
challenge, in one traditional form of duel, the goal is specifically for a
man to "win the favor of a women" (vuv be' 'e' baj [literally, "earn that a
woman respect him"]) by competing with another man.
   "There are a number of weapons typically used for duels, the most common
being the bat'leth. When the parties are ready, a third party, sort of a
referee, says moq, the signal to begin. The verb moq literally means "beat"
and it is a clipped form of, perhaps, vImoq ("I beat it") or even vImoqpu'
("I have beaten it"). In times past, one would hit something (such as a
drum) with a stick to indicated the start of the duel; today, one simply
says the word "beat".
   "A duel ends, normally, with death. It is often the case, however, that
one of the combatants will have been outmaneuvered and will find himself in
a position from which he clearly cannot recover. Should this occur, he will
probably shout out baq, a clipped form of yIbaq ("Terminate it!"). It is
not normal in this context for him to shout out something like HIHoH ("Kill
me!"), even though this is what he means." (KGT 67ff)

"... the verb suffix {-chu'} (perfectly), when used with some verbs of
fighting, implies that the fight results in death. From the Klingon point
of view, {Suvchu'} (fight perfectly) is fight to the death. A similar
construction is used for dueling ({Hay'chu'}, duel to the death)." (KGT 49)

> > Now I have another question.  Is it right for a Klingon to
> > challenge someone, to make sure he is worthy of the lady's hand
> > in marriage?  As a friend?
>
>It's certainly possible.

Here's the relevant paragraph from KGT (p.69):

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level