tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 05 14:00:55 2002

RE: KLBC A Simple Story

> : > ghoqwI'vaD qojHomDaq woD yaS QeH.
> : > The angry officer throws the spy over the embankment.
> :
> : "The angry officer threw away (something) at the embankment for
> the spy."
> :
> : He's throwing (away) the spy.  The spy is the object of woD.  The spy
> : doesn't need a -vaD.
> :
> : qojHomDaq ghoqwI' woD yaS QeH.
>
> We now know that {woD} "throw away" means to discard, i.e. throw out.  Use
> {jaD} "throw around, hurl about" from KGT instead:
>
>   "Note that {Soj woD} (He/she throws the food away), which refers
>    to a regrettable activity, is very different from {Soj jaD}
>    (He/she throws or hurls the food in the manner of a projectile),
>    which, under certain circumstances, is considered a reasonable
>    pastime." (KGT 91)
>
> Also, for the idea of "throw over", add {Dung} "area above, area
> overhead" to
> be a little more precise:
>
>   qojHom DungDaq ghoqwI' jaD yaS QeH.
>   The angry officer hurled the spy above the embankment.
>
> It's a little better, but still not exactly "across the top".  Without
{Dung},
> {qojHomDaq} could mean that he threw the spy at or towards the embankment,
or
> that they were both located at or near the embankment when he
> threw the spy (say, to the ground).

I kept the woD because it is like he is "throwing away" the enemy's body, as
tho it was trash.  jaD certainly works.

> : > nuHDaj tu' yaS.
> : > The officer finds his weapon.
> :
> : I don't like the choice of tu'.  "He discovers/observes his weapon."
> : woH - pick up
> : lel - take out
> : Suq - acquire
> : Hmm, I don't really like any of these choices either.  Hmm.
>
> {tu'} "discover, find; observe, notice" seems find to me.  I
> think we're so
> used to seeing {tu'lu'} that we forget the basic meanings of {tu'}.  E.g.
>
>   QumwI'wIj vItu'laHbe'
>   I can't find my communicator. TKD
>
> Also consider {Sam} "locate, seek and find" if the officer was
specifically
> searching for his weapon when he found it.  I've always felt {tu'} meant
> find by accident or happenstance:  e.g. Hey, I found $10 in the street!
>
>   reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj!
>   May you always find a bloodworm in your glass! PK

I felt the warrior always knew where his weapon was; most likely hanging on
his belt.  He didn't need to look for it, or find it, or discover it.  He
simply needed to take it out of the holster.  (This is how I read the story
anyways.)

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level