tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 05 00:42:11 2002

Re: paghmo' tIn mIS: tlhaw'DIyo je be'neDIq

From: "David Hand" <[email protected]>
> In the Introduction to the restored version of _paghmo' tIn mIS_, the
> Bureau of External Relations mentions that {tlhaw'DIyo} and {be'neDIq}
> are a Brigadier and a Lieutenant, respectively.
>
> I'm not familiar with Klingon military heirarchy, but surely
> {tlhaw'DIyo} doesn't outrank {be'neDIq} by so much as the two words
> indicate to someone familiar with Terran ranking systems.  If anything,
> I'd expect {be'neDIq} to outrank {tlhaw'DIyo}.

The ranking of the /tlhIngan Hubbeq/ is listed on KGT p. 52:

'aj
Sa'
totlh
'ech
HoD
la'
Sogh
lagh
ne'
---
bu'
Da'

tlhaw'DIyo certainly outranks be'neDIq: tlhaw'DIyo is marrying /meSI'na
qumwI' puqbe'/, and be'neDIq only gets his /lorbe'/.  (And the real answer:
Claudio is a count, Benedick is just a gentleman.)

Just because be'neDIq is cleverer and older than tlhaw'DIyo doesn't mean he
outranks him.

And take note of your subject line: /je/ always comes after the final noun
in a series to be joined.

SuStel
Stardate 2097.8

Back to archive top level