tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 03 22:27:53 2002

Re: Alphabet

peHrus:
>>I have not checked your math, either.  Have you deducted the syllables that
>>just won't work?  For example, 'ow', 'uw and 'Iy' are "impossible."

Sangqar:
>>Actually, I didn't take those into account, but are you sure that {ow} is
>>not valid?  I mean, is there an Okrandian source?  Finnish has that
>>particular diphthong, although it is admittedly hard for beginners to
>>distinguish from a long o.  Since Klingon doesn't have a long o, it seems
>>that paricular difficulty wouldn't exist.

According to TKD, on the top of page 17, no Klingon words have {ow} or
{uw}, since they would sound the same as {o} and {u}. However, I'm not
aware of any prohibition on the sound {'Iy'}. peHruS, was there some reason
that you included {'Iy'} here (other than the fact that no words that we
know use that sound)?

- taD

Back to archive top level