tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 03 22:18:39 2002

Re: Alphabet

> > Well, there are 2625 possible syllables in tlhIngan Hol according to
>what
> > we know: 21 consonants * 5 vowels * (21 consonants + 3 consonant
>clusters +
> > 1 null), so a true syllabary would be quite large.
> > >

>I have not checked your math, either.  Have you deducted the syllables that
>just won't work?  For example, 'ow', 'uw and 'Iy' are "impossible."
>
>peHruS

Actually, I didn't take those into account, but are you sure that {ow} is
not valid?  I mean, is there an Okrandian source?  Finnish has that
particular diphthong, although it is admittedly hard for beginners to
distinguish from a long o.  Since Klingon doesn't have a long o, it seems
that paricular difficulty wouldn't exist.