tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 01 20:26:34 2002

Re: pIqaD

[email protected] wrote:

> We don't know anything about the greeked stuff that Okuda puts out except that
> it definitely has no language behind it. Characters there are chosen to suit
> his artistic preference. You can pretend that it represents language that
> nobody understands except for fictional characters, if you like. I tend to
> simply be offended by Okuda's power play and wish he'd leave language to the
> linguists and get out of the way of an official canon pIqaD.

Okay, I'll bite... (dangerous thing to say when there are klingons
around)...

Has someone ever asked Marc Okrand about the writing system?

That being said, I personally (and I'm not a linguist, although the
subject has always had great fascination to me) suspect that an
alphabetic script would work well for Klingon; the sound system really
does to me seem a lot more alphabetical than syllabic, and seems regular
enough in the way that one could imagine being imposed by an alphabetic
writing system.

Someone mentioned Atatürk and Turkish; it is certainly not the only
modern language which has had recent spelling reforms and thus are spelt
in an extremely regular fashion (Spanish and Norwegian come to mind.)
Personally I would dare to guess that a Klingon probably would look very
strange at a human trying to explain the concept of an "official"
spelling, and that they simply spell things the way they would pronounce
them.  This is another way a language would get spelt in a highly
phonetic fashion.

	-hpa

Back to archive top level