tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 16 07:06:21 2002

Re: multiple N-ns5 in the "header area"

From: "Alan Anderson" <[email protected]>
> Fine, {DaHjaj} is a noun used to indicate a time here.  However...
>
> >   qen 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?
> >   reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS.
> >   roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH
> >   reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj
>
> ...{qen}, {reH}, and {roD} are adverbial chuvmey, and not the kind of
"time
> element" nouns that I'm sure SuStel was referring to.

It's a tricky topic.  The actual text of TKD (p. 179) says "It is possible
for an element of another type to precede the adverb.  Most commonly, this
is a time element . . . ."

What exactly is "an element of another type"?  Must it be a noun?  We still
don't know if we're allowed to put multiple adverbials on a sentence; could
the other type of element also be an adverbial?

We've seen a lot of evidence that suggests the header area's order is
variable.  It might just be that "time element" in TKD refers to adverbials
related to time.  Or it might not.

Heh.  A nearby topic:

DaH HaqwI' yISam.
Adverbial, Object, Verb.

HaqwI''e' DaH yISam.
Header noun, Adverbial, Verb.
(NOT misplaced Object, Adverbial, Verb.)

SuStel
Stardate 2624.2

Back to archive top level