tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 24 20:46:43 2002

Question about 'e'

This was probably already covered before I joined the list, but the archives
have no search function.

TKD tells us that {'e'} and {net} are "used primarily...with verbs of
thinking or observation....[t]hey are always treated as the object of the
verb".

It later tells us "all pronouns...can be used as verbs".

These two statements seem to be at odds.  (I say this because Okrand didn't
say 'all personal pronouns' and he didn't say that {'e'} and {net} were
exceptions.) Judging from usage on this list, the first one seems to take
precedence (i.e., we never see things like {Doch QaQ 'e'}, with {'e'} acting
as a verb the way the personal pronouns do).  Why is this?  Is there
subsequent canon from Okrand?  Was it an arbitrary choice?

I just reread TKD, and now I've got all kinds of questions running around in
my head.  I'm sure most of them were answered by later canon, but all I have
access to are TKD, KGT, the last two issues of HolQeD (strike that; the
September and December issues - I haven't received the March issue yet) and
four back issues I bought some time ago.