tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 21 10:29:46 2002

Re: John and I go...

SuStel wrote:
>There is no evidence that you can say */majaH torgh/ (let's use a Klingon
>name).  The correct way of saying it is /majaH jIH torgh je/.  I believe
>we've had an example (I can't cite it) with "pronoun noun je" as subject.

Can't cite it? Tsk tsk. My own search yielded only one instance of a pronoun
plus noun conjoined: "woQ luSuqmeH jIjpu' chaH romuluSngan'e' je", but the
chaH is added for clarity (i.e. it is pragmatically necessary), so this is
not conclusive for our purpose here. I'm interested in this problem, but I
don't have the answer. Nonetheless I think it is premature to say that
??majaH torgh?? is out-and-out wrong. I reread TKD 4.1 and 5.1 last night and
could not find anything specifically wrong with it, except maybe that it is a
violation of my English-centric sensibility. Does that count?? {{:-) What
does everybody else think?

>wouldn't be opposed to /majaH Hoch maH/, because /Hoch maH/ is (apparently)
>a plural 1st person phrase.

Really?!! I would really like to know if THIS is canonical. I haven't been
able to find any instances of ??Hoch maH??, and my searches for any other
possible indications of how tlhIngan Hol might express pronominal
quantification (like ??'op tlhIH??) have been unfruitful. I could
not accept "Hoch maH" without canonical support; it just seems too arbitrary
and too probably an Anglicism.

Back to archive top level