tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 21 09:04:56 2002

Re: 'e' vIneH

>>But /DIS veb "Europe" vIleng vIneH/ IS the correct advice.  Let me
>>punctuate
>>it to represent your situation.
>>
>>DIS veb "Europe" vIleng . . . . . . . . vIneH!
>>
>>Works just fine to me!  Consider a similar example in English:
>>
>>I'm traveling to Europe next year . . . . . . . . . I hope!
>
>The Klingon still sounds awkward to my ear with that pause in there; it
>still feels like that last bit should be rendered 'I hope it' in English.
>
>But I will bow to your more experienced ear.  (At least until I have some
>experience speaking Klingon with others - currently my spoken Klingon is
>limited to saying things out loud as I read/write them.)

Had an epiphany last night after I wrote this:  I had a little trouble
getting to sleep, so I kept saying this over and over - and I found that
with the right intonation, the {vIneH} no longer sounded like a new and
separate thought, but rather a continuation.  I realized that that
intonation was probably what you were trying to get across with that
unorthodox punctuation.  Maybe I was too tired to get it last night (it was
rather late here).

It's probably a good thing I'm single - repeating the same thing over and
over again, varying only the intonation and emphasis (in Klingon, too, which
would probably have sounded like nonsense) would likely have annoyed a
bedmate no end.