tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 21 01:18:33 2002

Re: 'e' vIneH

From: "Sean Healy" <[email protected]>
> What if I wanted to use {neH} with a previous sentence of my own, as an
> afterthought, or at least separate thought:
>
> DIS veb "Europe" vIleng.  'e' vIneH.
> I'm travelling to Europe next year.  At least I'd like to.
>
> When saying this aloud, I would pause, to indicate these were separate
> thoughts, and saying just {vIneH} after a pause seems to leave the verb
with
> no object (that's how it feels to me, anyway).  Although I guess it could
be
> interpreted as a simple non-sequitur:
>
> I'm travelling to Europe next year.  I want it.
>
> This leaves me thinking, 'Want what?'.
>
> Please, no advice that I should just say:
>
> DIS veb "Europe" vIleng vIneH.
>
> Sure, when I'm sitting here writing, I could delete the punctuation and
> simply add {vIneH}  But if I were speaking, I couldn't delete the pause
I'd
> just made.  (Just trying to forestall the inevitable "You're making it too
> complex" response.)

But /DIS veb "Europe" vIleng vIneH/ IS the correct advice.  Let me punctuate
it to represent your situation.

DIS veb "Europe" vIleng . . . . . . . . vIneH!

Works just fine to me!  Consider a similar example in English:

I'm traveling to Europe next year . . . . . . . . . I hope!

You didn't have to say "I hope I do," you just said "I hope," and what you
hoped was perfectly clear from what you'd previously said.

I suppose you COULD use /'e'/ for continuing your own sentence, but what's
the point, really?  When continuing someone else's sentence, you need a way
to demonstrate that you're hijacking his sentence.

SuStel
Stardate 2303.1

Back to archive top level