tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 19 13:54:56 2002

Re: to'nech 71-80

From: "Sean M. Burke" <[email protected]>

> K: DujlIj luvoq tIra'!
> Gloss: Order them to trust your instincts!

The only words that are actually verbs of speaking are /jatlh/ and /ja'/.
Anything else is just a regular verb.

Thus, there are two ways to say this:

DujlIj luvoq 'e' yIra'!
Order that they trust your instincts!

tIra'; yIjatlh DujwIj yIvoq!
Command them; say, "Trust my instincts!"

For the second one, there are variable orders you can say this in.  You
might also say:

DujwIj yIvoq yIjatlh; tIra'!
yIjatlh DujwIj yIvoq; tIra'!
tIra'; DujwIj yIvoq yIjatlh!

> K: nuq 'oH jech QaQ'e'?
> Gloss: What is a good disguise?

maj.

> K: pIp yItlhe'.
> Gloss: Twist the spine.

maj.  /tlhe'/ is, of course, one of those "Which Way?" verbs.

> K: mung yIcheghlI'.
> Gloss: Return to the origin.
> Eno/Schmidt: Return to the Introduction

You really like using /-lI'/ on imperatives, and I think you're overdoing
it.  Nowhere in either English version is there a suggestion of progress
being made toward a goal.  This should simply be:

mung yIchegh!
Return to the origin!

> K: chIch yIDal.
> Gloss: Be intentionally dull.

According to KGT, when you use a verb of quality as a command, you must
phrase it as "cause yourself to be <verb>!"  Thus:

chIch yIDal'eghmoH.

Leaving off the /-'eghmoH/ is only done if you're using the word in an
idiomatic or slang way, and there's no reason to believe that /Dal/ has a
slang meaning.

> K: lugh'a' He?
> Gloss: Is the course right?
> [Is {lugh} said only of people being right [about something], or can it
> apply also to things being right [for a purpose]?]

I'm not aware of any restrictions.

> K: nuq ngaS Qu'?  nuq ngaSbe' Qu'?
> Gloss: What does the task contain?  What doesn't it contain?

I believe we've heard that /ngaS/ refers to phyiscally containing something
only, not the abstract idea of contain that you've used.  Depending on the
meaning, you might change this thusly:

nuq vIta'nIS?  nuq vIta'nISbe'?
What do I need to do?  What don't I need to do?

> K: mu' DachoHnIS'a'?
> Gloss: Do you need to change the words?
> Eno/Schmidt: Do the words need changing?

Note that the E/S original can easily be obtained with:

mu' luchoHnISlu''a'?

> K: qechlij jaq yIcha'!
> Gloss: Display your bold idea!

maj

> K: cha' Dopmey ghaj tlhegh.
> Gloss: A rope has two ends.
> Eno/Schmidt: A line has two sides

Ironically, the Klingon is a perfect translation of the E/S, but the gloss
is wrong.  "Sides" are not "ends."

SuStel
Stardate 2299.1

Back to archive top level