tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 17 16:43:17 2002

John and I go...

I'm in a puzzlement over something.  In several languages that I'm familiar
with which are rather like Klingon in their use of subject prefixes and
relative non-use of pronouns, the way one says "John and I go..." is what
I'd literally translate into Klingon as "majaH John" -- namely, an overt
subject of just "John", and then a "we" prefix on the verb.

In those languages, you /could/ express it as "John, and I, we-go", but
this is not the normal way of saying it -- that way gives a "contrastive"
reading; i.e., it means "John and /I/ go..." (implication: /I/! not you!
not her! not them! etc.).

So, what's the normal way of saying "John and I go..." in Klingon?
--
Sean M. Burke    http://www.spinn.net/~sburke/

Back to archive top level