tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 17 13:04:10 2002

Re: to' nech, 051-061

> > How can you command someone to have completed something? I think {-pu'}
here
> > breaks your sentence.
>
> If there was a time-stamp set in the future it would work.  I agree it
doesn't
> work here.

I don't see why you CAN'T command someone to have completed something.  I
don't think the time context is relevant.  It's awkward in English, but
seems to make perfect sense in Klingon.

I once came up with this phrase:

yInenta'!
Grow up already!

Admittedly, this is colloquial English, but it's pretty common usage.
"Please be finished!"  "Get lost!"

I also agree that /-pu'/ doesn't belong on this sentence, but only because
it's not really meant here.  /yItammoH/ "Silence it!" "Cause it to be
silent!" is what is meant, not "Cause it to have been silent!" or "Be
finished causing it to be silent!"

SuStel
Stardate 2293.5

Back to archive top level