tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 17 10:26:48 2002

KLBC: Re: ta'Hom mach

> > vuDwi' laj ghot HochHom 'e' vIpIHbe'.
> >
> > DloraH:  I am unsure on the use of HochHom.  Please advise.
>
>When /Hoch/ (and /HochHom/) come before the noun, the phrase refers to how
>many
>items there are.
>When /Hoch/ comes after the noun, the phrase refers to how much of each
>item.

<snip>

>So, /ghot HochHom/, maybe you're excluding an arm or leg.
>/HochHom ghot/ "most people"
>
>Does this help?

I looked up my notes on Hoch (which I probably should have done in the first
place, or else added the same notes to my {HochHom} entry):

In HolQeD v5n2p11: If noun following Hoch is explicitly plural, it means
"all". If it is singular, it means "each".

Hoch noun = each noun, each of the nouns
noun Hoch = all of the noun, the entire noun

I'm not sure how the singular/plural distinction applies to HochHom:

HochHom ghot
HochHom ghotmey

Is there any difference in the meaning here?

>Also, /vuDwI' laj HochHom ghot 'e' vIpIHbe'/, everyone should ACCEPT your
>opinion; you just don't expect most of them to AGREE with you.

As someone has recently posted to the list, Okrand's intended audience was
speakers of American English, and as once was pointed out in a discussion I
participated in concerning the verb {Hech}, the glosses are generally
interpreted that way.  My dictionary includes the following defintions for
'accept':

To receive (something offered), especially with gladness or approval
To regard as proper, usual, or right
To regard as true; believe in

All of which are in accord with my intended meaning (of course, there are
also definitions that are not in accord with my intended meaning).  All of
that by way of explaining why I chose 'laj'.

Now to the more important point:  What word would you use?  {Qoch} is
glossed as 'disagree', not 'disagree with', so I assume that it is
intransitive (or at least, that, like {Hech}, the only object it can take is
the pronoun {'e'}), and so by extension, the same applies to {QochHa'}:

*vuDwI' QochHa' HochHom ghot

seems wrong to me.  How can I say this?  Perhaps:

vuDwI''e' QochHa' HochHom ghot

Of course, this would still have the ('e' vIpIHbe'} part indicating that I
do not actually expect this state of affairs

vuDwI''e' QochHa' HochHom ghot 'e' vIpIHbe'
As for my opinion, I do not expect that most people will agree.

How's that?