tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 17 09:14:57 2002

Re: Alphabet/ new(old) klingon

> Anyway, this "klingon" surely isn't the same klingon that is upheld by
> the KLI. What is it then? It seems to make use of a totally different
> alphabet - letters like "x" and such.
>
> So, the actual klingon alphabet consists of
> "a b ch D e gh H I j l m n ng o p q Q r S t tlh u v w y ' " right? Are
> there any additions in development or planed? If not, how is this
> "new klingon" going to fit in?
> Is it a language at all?
> Who made it, if so?

It isn't a new alphabet/language.  It's the same nonsense as from the other
series.  Sometimes the writers do open TKD and pull out a word or two; but we
would be shocked if any of them actually read the grammar part of TKD.  Most of
the writers don't bother with TKD at all.  They feel they are better than that,
they don't need help with their work, and so they make up words.  This is what
we refer to as /par Hol/ (short for Paramount Hol)

> On a side note: Is there any explanation why the klingons look different
> in the older(production time series? After all, it seems as if they
> admitted the fact during that DS9/TOS "crossover" with the tribbles...

We don't discuss this with outsiders.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level