tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 17 08:42:14 2002

Re: to' nech, 051-061

From: "Sean M. Burke" <[email protected]>

> Corrections welcome, diatribes not.

I will comment on your Klingon and Gloss lines; the original lines are too
far divorced from what you've written to have any bearing.  I didn't even
read 'em.

> K: ra'mey motlh tIbuSHa'rup.
> Gloss: Be prepared to ignore the usual orders
> [I'm curious what people think of 0-nominalizing ra' like this, since I
> don't see an attested noun for "order"; but I infer that it exists from
> {ra'ghomquv}, since a verb being part of a noun compound like this is
> something I don't think I've ever seen Klingon do; whereas it seems normal
> if you infer that {ra'} is a noun.]

You can't make this inference.  We often find nouns that are formed from
non-noun components.  The most used example is probably /QongDaq/ "bed."
There is no known noun /Qong/, but somehow the word /QongDaq/ has become
lexicalized.

If you want to nominalize a verb, there are two tools to do this: /-wI'/ and
/-ghach/.  /-wI'/ isn't really appropriate here.  To use /-ghach/ correctly,
you have to nominalize the verb with a verb suffix.  You don't really have
any relevant suffixes to use here.

It would be better if you didn't try nominalizing.  Try this on for size:

motlh ra'lu' 'e' yIbuSHa'rup.

> K: 'oH neHlu''a'?
> Gloss: Does anyone want it?
> [correct syntax?]

HIja'.  Note that this focuses on the wanting and the "it," whereas the
English might be focusing on the "anyone" too.

> K: mob Hoch chav.
> Gloss: Every achievement is on its own.

maj.

> K: yI'uchchu'!
> Gloss: Grab it!

How about:

nom yIwoH!

> K: beqvaD jo' yIlan.
> Gloss: Replace a crewman with a machine.
> [I'm unsure of the choice of verb, and of the argument structure.]

I like the Klingon sentence here; it has a slightly different feel, but it
seems to come out to the same thing as the gloss ultimately.

Without context, it's a little vague.  It's unclear whether the beneficiary
(beq) actually benefits from the action, or is affected by it, or what.

> K: puS Qo'! Hoch!
> Gloss: Not some!  ALL!
> [My first attempt at clipped Klingon -- I'm not sure what one can do with
> Qo' in clipped Klingon, or where it would go.]

I wouldn't do it like this.  I don't think it works at all.  Try this:

'op?  Qo'!  Hoch!

> K: poSDaq tIyov, nIHDaq tIyov, botlhDaq tIyov
> Gloss: Charge on the left; Charge on the right; Charge in the middle.

maj.

> K: yItammoHpu' 'ej yIruchqa'!
> Gloss: Silence it, and proceed!

I think the /-pu'/ is unnecessary here.  The /-qa'/ is not reqiured, but
doesn't seem to hurt.

I'd also suggest using /ghIq/, as this seems to be more of a sequence than
just two sentences "and"ed together.

yItammoH; ghIq yIruchqa'!
Silence it, then proceed!

> K: bong QaghqoqlIj lo'laH.
> Gloss: Your "mistake" is accidentally useable.

You should use the indefinite subject here, but otherwise this is a good
sentence.

> K: pay' yIQaw' 'ej yIchargh!
> Gloss: Destroy suddenly, then conquer!

Again, use /ghIq/, especially here.