tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 16 12:26:48 2002

Re: ta'Hom mach

> vuDwi' laj ghot HochHom 'e' vIpIHbe'.
>
> DloraH:  I am unsure on the use of HochHom.  Please advise.

When /Hoch/ (and /HochHom/) come before the noun, the phrase refers to how many
items there are.
When /Hoch/ comes after the noun, the phrase refers to how much of each item.

Hoch jolvoy' nIH  "He stole all the transporter ionizer units"
If we had ten of them, he stole all ten.

jolvoy' Hoch nIH  "He stole all of the TIU"
We had only one; he stole all of it, every part, not even a single screw was
left behind.

Some people wonder how this is different from /jolvoy' naQ/.  /naQ/ is a verb
meaning "complete, whole".

jolvoy' naQ wIghaj  "We have a complete TIU"
'ej cha' jolvoy' naQbe' wIghaj  "And we have two non-complete TIUs"
Maybe the incomplete ones are for parts or we're trying to fix them.

Hoch jolvoy' naQ nIH  "He stole all the complete TIUs"
He stole only the good ones.  He didn't take the incomplete ones that we use
for parts.

jolvoy' naQ HochHom nIH  "He stole most of the complete TIU"
The TIU was complete.  He took most of it, but he left a few parts behind,
perhaps he was in too much of a hurry.

HochHom jolvoy' nIH  "He stole most of the TIUs"
We had ten TIUs, he stole eight of them.  I don't specify here whether he stole
complete ones and/or the ones we use for parts, only that he took most of what
we had.

So, /ghot HochHom/, maybe you're excluding an arm or leg.
/HochHom ghot/ "most people"

Does this help?

Also, /vuDwI' laj HochHom ghot 'e' vIpIHbe'/, everyone should ACCEPT your
opinion; you just don't expect most of them to AGREE with you.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level