tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 15 09:42:51 2002

Re: ba'

From: <[email protected]>
> > Klingon, if /ba'/ means occupying the chair, what's the difference
> > between /ba'/ and /ba'taH/?
>
> >  None that I can see.
>
> /-taH/ emphasizes the continuation, telling the reader it is not /-lI'/.

Umm, no, the purpose of /-taH/ is not to say it's not /-lI'/.

Personally, I don't think /ba'/ necessarily means continuous occupation of a
chair, couch, etc.  I think it means occupation of a chair, etc., for an
unspecified amount of time, maybe an instant, maybe a day, whatever.

/ba'taH/ means said occupation for a period that is expressly continuous --
it's definitely not instantaneous, and the continuous nature of the sitting
is important.

/ba'choH/ means the beginning of said occupation.  The sitting will be
longer than instantanous, but there's no talk about it being "continuous"
(it's implied, but not very strongly).

/ba'pu'/ means the act of sitting is completed.  Whether that means the
instantaneous act of sitting, or a continuous act, is unspecified.

I'm not interested in talking about /-ta'/ and /-lI'/, because the
"intentional" part of the definitions have no bearing on this discussion;
they are in all other ways identical to /-pu'/ and /-taH/.

SuStel
Stardate 2287.7

Back to archive top level