tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 15 09:26:52 2002

Re: the whys and whenfors of translation

> When I hear the phrase "worlds apart",

A few people have offered their oppinions, which are all valid.  "I'M" not
trying to translate the phrase "worlds apart".  The original post, from someone
else, was a translation of an apparently pre-existing story with the
title "Worlds Apart" which they translated as /chevbogh qo'mey/, which I in
turn back-translate as "Worlds which separate".  So far none of the oppinions
that I've seen match this idea.  I was curious how he came up with it.

But now I'm wondering, does chev mean "separate" as in transitive "divide"; or
is it "separate" as in intransitive "unconnected, individual, independant"?

If its the second, intransitive, "unconnected" meaning, then the title does
make sense.

DloraH

Back to archive top level