tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 15 05:26:41 2002

middle voice

Sean Burke said:
...how/whether one-term
predicates (X kroinks) can always/never/sometimes turn into two
term-predicates (X kroinks Y) and/or vice versa, even then the predicate is
really describing the same action in both cases.
So, for any given language:
* "she relaxes", "the neck muscle relaxes", but ?"she relaxes the neck
muscle" (versus "she gets the neck muscle to relax")
* "the water boils", ?"I boil the water" (versus "I get the water to boil")
much less ??"I boil the meat".
* "the engines stop", but ?"I stop the engines" versus "I make the enginges
stop"; and sometimes one has to wonder about possibilities like "the
engines stop themselves" versus "the engines stop".

These examples all seem to illustrate the middle voice, where from "X kroinks
Y" you get "Y kroinks".  I have no idea how to simulate a middle voice in
tlhIngan Hol.  Perhaps one should just avoid it, keeping X as an indefinite
and perhaps unspecified subject ("someone") and Y as the object.

[ Middle: The original object is made more topical and becomes the
    subject.  The original subject is deleted from the verb's
    argument structure and may not be expressed at all even though
    it is implied.
... A middle derivation is used when the demoted argument CANNOT be
specified, which is always the case in generic situations and when the
demoted argument is known from general knowledge (e.g. "Mice kill
easily"), as well as when the demoted argument is known from something
said earlier (e.g. "The mountains finally came into view").
 - Rick Morneau, Lexical semantics]
lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level