tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 14 11:13:01 2002

Re: ghorghvaD 'oH?

ja' SuStel:
>I go along with the belief that question words don't take noun suffixes.
>They're not nouns, even if some of them occasionally stand in for nouns.  I
>think such constructions would be UNDERSTOOD, in a wink-wink-nudge-nudge
>sort of way.

I think the noun-replacing question words ought to take noun suffixes just
fine, without raising anyone's eyebrows.

  'IvvaD yuchvam vInobnIS?
  nuqvo' pumpu' naghvam?

The "adverbial" or "adjectival" question words, however, never act like
nouns, and I can't think of any contexts where their use with noun suffixes
would come close to making sense.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level