tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 11 14:09:58 2002

RE: need help on translation

> Now I have another question which is the word
> chu' in TKD p83 both words have ' after them .

Remember, the ' is simply another letter of the alphabet.  It is not an
apostrophe.

> How does one when writing tell the differance between the two words.

In english we have the same problems.

glasses - the kind you wear, or the kind you drink from?
cup - same thing; the kind you wear, or the kind you drink from?
ship - a vessel in water, or the transport of goods, even if on a truck?
title - words on the cover of a book, or paper showing you own a car?
file - papers in a folder, the act of putting those folders in a drawer, a tool
with a rough surface, or the act of using that tool?

By themselves you can't tell.  In context you can usually figure it out.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level