tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 10 11:41:53 2002

to' nech, 004: {ghorghvaD 'oH?}

Agnieszka  wrote:
>><ghorgh> is not a noun and cannot take noun suffixes.

Sean Burke:
>Some things besides prototypical nouns can act like nouns.  Consider
>{nuqDaq}.  {nuq} isn't a prototypical noun, but it takes a noun suffix
>{Daq} just fine.

Are you sure this is the locative suffix {-Daq}?  I read it as the noun
{Daq} "site, place, location", which shows up in other compound words: e.g.
{QongDaq} "bed".  {nuq} BTW also shows up as an element in two other
words:  {nuqjatlh} "What did you say? Huh?" (exclamation), {nuqneH} "What
do you want? (greeting).

Be that as it may, Agnieszka is right: {ghorgh} "when?" is a question word
and doesn't take noun suffixes.  I'm all in favor of identifying
"undocumented features" in Klingon by a careful examination of canon to
supplement Okrand's sketch (as he calls it) of the grammar in TKD, but this
isn't one of them.

Back to your translation:  "When is it for?" is an idiom and can't be
translated literally.  What you're really asking is "When do you want it?"
{ghorgh DaneH?}, "When do you need to have it?" {ghorgh DaghajnIS?}, etc.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level