tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 10 03:22:43 2002

Re: Re: Yet another translation.

(the quotations are from the re-email of DloraH)

>Well, you can get rid of it because it's not quite what you thought it
>was.  /pagh/ is "zero, nothing, nobody"  It's not negation.

ghuy'cha'

I should have known it.

>Another tool we have is the suffix -'e' which we can put in place of
>that colon.  The -'e' in this manner sets the topic.
>tlhIngan Hol'e' ...
>"As for the Klingon language, ..."

sounds good - looks more "klingon".

>As for /pagh DaghojlI'/, let's replace /pagh/ with the suffix -be'.
>DaghojtaH 'ach DaghojlI'be'.
>"You continuously learn it, but you will not finish learning it."

Well, I was trying to get away from "lI'be' ", for I think it somehow
sounds strange.

>We can also use /not/ "never".  This goes at the beginning of the
>sentence which it is modifying.
>DaghojtaH 'ach not DaghojlI'
>"You continuously learn it, but you not finish learning it."

That's an idea. Too bad " 'ach" can't take suffixes - I'd like to
write "<'achbe'>", but that won't work.

>I think I would also remove the /'ach/.  It's not wrong, it can be in
>there.

Why not use it then? Is it custom not to use it? The "It's not
wrong..." doesn't sound like "It's ok to use it" - it seems as if
there is missing a "but" in that sentence.

>tlhIngan Hol'e'; DaghojtaH, not DaghojlI'.
>tlhIngan Hol'e'; DaghojtaH, DaghojlI'be'.

The first one sounds great. I don't like the second one, for I
think there should be a word between the sentences - something like
the english "but".
That's the reason why I would like to keep the " 'ach", but two
words(" 'ach not") wouldn't sound too good either.

>These, along with -pu' and -ta', can be fun.

Defenitely, unfortunately the fun is spoiled when it has to be
explained, or even worse, corrected first...

Well, I guess I'll stay with
"tlhIngan Hol'e'; DaghojtaH, not DaghojlI'."

I think it sounds nice and seems to be fitting to be told to people who
don't understand klingon at all.

One last questions: the "not" - is it spoken the same way as the
english "not"?

Thanks for the help.

Christoph

Back to archive top level