tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 04 12:51:57 2002

Re: I'm the newbie

Hi every1 !

@Will:
Nice to meet you!
yIvoq 'ach yI'ol seems to be a good advice - especially with
tlhInganHol. I see that the Klingon language is not as descriptive as it
seems from only reading Okrand's works ...
Thanks for the cultural illustration you gave - I understand the point.
But: The way Klingons behave in coversation doesn't mean "stylistic
tools" (don't know if that's the correct term) are obsolete. I heard
that KLI did a translation of "Hamlet" (I don't own a copy). I believe
there should be double negations in it. Perhaps one wants to check how
these are resolved in the Klingon version ...
But I also see that in coversation the -'be'be construction is not a
good one to use. Perhaps one of the best arguments is that the Klingon
language (as the Klingon mind) should be thought of as "straight
forward" .
Thank You!

@SuStel
You got my point!

@DloraH
Hi, man! Good to know there's someone available for stupid questions!
One of my friends here in GER also lived in NY for a long period of
time. The way You respect your city is hard to understand for a German,
I admitt. I hope the Americans together with the UN forces (the German
"Bundeswehr" is at work, also) will be able to seriously kick some a**
in the near future. But perhaps we should drop that subject here
(although it's a Klingon one - in some ways). My prayers are with the
people in NY!

I found the KLI 3 yrs ago. The postal course was a good guide for me. I
would love to make contact with the German fraction of the KLI.
Definately.

@Volker
Hi, buddy! Good to know there's another physicist around! Non-scientists
always make me feel a little uncomfortably :-) When did you finish your
studies and what is your occupation now?
I'm using the English version of the dictionary, exclusively. Thanks for
the link anyways - I'll have a look at it.

Alex

Back to archive top level