tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 02 19:27:55 2002

RE: of a certain age

> >Or one could use a verb referring to the continued existence, maybe even
> >something generic like {taH}:
> >
> >   {'ar poH taHpu' targhHomlij?}  {loS Hogh taHpu'!}
> >   ("How long has your targlet survived/lived?" "She has survived four
> > weeks.")
>
> I'll let the BG explain the proper use of {'ar} and {poH},...

And with that we turn to TKD p70; "/'ar/ follows the noun to which it
refers.
poH 'ar - "How many periods of time".
The noun /poH/ is "period of time"; there is no mention of a unit of
measurement, or how long a period of time is (because it's variable).  So
one could always answer this question with wa' "one", or any other infinite
quantity, because you don't specify a unit.  We see that in this case there
is a unit of measurement volunteered in the answer.

This next part refers to both sentences.
loS Hogh taHqu'.
How does the /loS Hogh/ fit into the sentence?  "Four weeks ago..."?  "Four
weeks from now..."?  What you want is "During four weeks..."

"During...", we have the suffix -vIS (which must be accompanied by -taH);
but being only (verb) suffixes, they need a verb to attach to.  /qaS/.

One can still use /poH/; presumably the one asking doesn't know which would
be more appropriate, weeks, months, years, etc.  Unless the one giving the
answer wants a punch in the face, he would give an answer in an appropriate
unit.  If the one asking has a general idea of how long, he should ask using
a more specific unit, like week, month, etc.
(See Voragh's message about the -pu')

qaStaHvIS Hogh 'ar  taH targhHomlIj?
  "During how many weeks has your targhHom survived/endured?"
qaStaHvIS loS Hogh  taH.
  "During four weeks it has survived."

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level