tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 02 05:37:46 2002

RE: [KLBC] -vaD question

> 'ej DaH jIjatlhbogh vImugh je
> And this time I will also translate what I say. [into Klingon]

*-jatlhbogh should have an object.  There are several choices available.
mu'
mu'tlhegh
SoQ
qech
etc

... mu'tlhegh vIjatlhbogh vImugh ...
or
... mu'tlhegh vIghItlhbogh vImugh ...
etc

> Can I say {novpu'vaD 'oH wIja'chuqbe'} for "We do not discuss it with
> outsiders!"?? (yes, it's from that DS9 ep) I'm asking because I'm
> not sure -vaD can be used that way.

The -vaD is OK, but /wIja'chuqbe'/...

ja'chuq is glossed as "discuss, confer" so you can find the idea.  It is
/ja'/ "tell" with the suffix -chuq "-each other".  A verb with -chuq doesn't
get an object; it gets multiple subjects.  We don't have a "talk about
(something)".

novpu'vaD ghu' wIQIjQo'.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level