tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 25 09:43:08 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: yaj (v)

: Klingon word:   yaj
: Part of Speech: verb
: Definition:     understand

As used in canon:

  jIyaj
  I understand TKD
"... can be used when the speaker understands things in general,
knows what is going on, or understands what another speaker has
just said. It cannot, however, be used for understanding a
language or understanding a person." (TKD 33f)

  jIyajbe'
  I don't understand. TKD

  jIyajchu'
  I understand clearly. TKD

  yajchu'
  Understood clearly. (Clipped) TKD

  yaj'a'
  Does he understand? TKD

  yaj'a'
  [Is that] Understood?) (Clipped) TKD

  jIyaj
  Understood. ST3

  baHwI', DoS yIbuS. QuQ neH. yaj'a'?
  Gunner: Target engine only - Understood? ST3

  yajchu' qaH.
  Understood clearly, sir. ST3

  ghu'maj Dayajbe'law' Sa'.
  [You don't seem to grasp our situation, General.] ST6 (novel)

  HIDjolev Dayaj'a'?
  Do you understand the menu? CK

  bIyaj'a'?
  Do you understand? PK

  yIn DayajmeH 'oy' yISIQ
  To understand life, endure pain. TKW

  Dajatlhbogh vIyajbe'
  I find no match for what you have just said. KCD

  jaghpu' mo' wIyajnIS
  We must understand the enemies' motive. (slang) KGT

Cf. also {yajHa'} "misinterpret, misunderstand":

  jIyajHa'. chay' jura'?
  [I don't understand. What are your orders?] ST3 (untranslated)

Related verbs include {Hon} "doubt", {SIv} "wonder", {Sov} "know", {Qub}
"think" and {tlhoj} "realize".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons