tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 15 18:03:35 2001

RE: KLBC: Turning a verb into a noun

> Time for my next question. Is there any way in Klingon to make a verb into
> noun? I want to turn the verb "to sleep" into the noun "sleep".
> What I really want to say is "Sleep is important".

> which makes me want to use {-'e'},

Putting the - in there makes it look like you're refering to a suffix.
The suffix -'e' and the pronoun 'e' are two different things.  Be careful
not to confuse them.

> Qong potlh 'oHtaH 'e'

Unfortunately 'e' can be only the object of a sentence.

One method that gets used a lot for this task is [-meH Qu'].
potlh QongmeH Qu' - the task of sleeping is important.
(potlh is a noun, TKD p100; and a verb, TKD p183)

or with two sentences,
Qonglu'.  potlh ghu'vetlh. - one sleeps, that situation is important.
Qonglu'.  potlh wanI'vetlh. - one sleeps, that occurrence is important.

or we could use the unpopular -ghach.  But -ghach wants to have another
suffix used with it.  This is covered in TKD p176.  Perhaps in this case we
could the suffix -chu' with it.  Qongchu'ghach (a thorough state of sleep).
potlh Qongchu'ghach

But don't get carried away with -ghach.  If you can re-cast your ideas so
that verbs can be used as verbs, that is certainly prefered.  Klingons like
ACTION.

> I still have the question about turning verbs into nouns,

Another way is the VERB suffix -wI', not to be confused with the noun
suffix -wI'.
ghojmoH - teach
ghojmoHwI' - teacher
qet - run