tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 15 11:46:12 2001

Re: Samuv

> tlhIngan Hol vIghoj vItagh.  "Qubchatlh" jIpong'egh.

You started learning klingon; apparently you didn't just start today.  You did
pretty good.

Hi, I am DloraH.  I am the Beginners' Grammarian for this list.  If you want,
you can put KLBC at the beginning of the subject and that will flag the message
so that I know to look at it; and it lets others know that I should be the
first to reply, so that newbies don't get bombarded.

There are a couple things that need to be fixed in your sentences.
[tlhIngan Hol vIghoj vItagh] has two main verbs.  A sentence can have only
one.  In The Klingon Dictionary you will find a section about the pronoun 'e'
(not to be confused with the suffix -'e').  Basicly what you have here are two
sentences.
[tlhIngan Hol vIghoj] is one sentence.
[vItagh] is another sentence.  But what is it you're starting?  That's where
['e'] comes in.  ['e'] is a pronoun that refers to the previous sentence.
[tlhIngan Hol vIghoj  'e' vItagh], literally that is "I am learning Klingon, I
started that."

Another way to say this is with the suffix -choH.
tuj - it is hot.
tujchoH - it becomes hot / it starts to be hot.
tlhIngan Hol vIghojchoH - I start to learn klingon.

>"Qubchatlh" jIpong'egh

pong doesn't take a direct quote.  There are many ways to tell your name, we
don't have any one offical way.  This is covered in the FAQ.
jIHvaD Qubchatlh ponglu'
Qubchatlh 'oH pongwIj'e'
and more.

Welcome to the list Qubchatlh.