tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 21 05:58:45 2001

RE: KLBC: Patience makes perfect

pagh-le' said:

> Thanks to everyone for their comments on this subject. Grammar is easier
> than vocabulary. All of those words--mahayana, buddha, boddhisatva,
> dharma,
> sangha--mean something (great vehicle, awakened one, and so forth) so
> there
> should be perfectly good Klingon words for them; such as
> {vem'eghmoHtaHwI'}
> for Awakened One. Bodhisattva will be difficult. Also, there does not seem
> to be a word for monk, but I will deal with that eventually by finding a
> perfectly good Klingon word to express the meaning.
	[...]

I'm not really familiar with these ideas, but since they deal with
philosophy they might be rather difficult to explain easily in Klingon.
{vem'eghmoHtaHwI'} would be "One who awakens him/herself up." Out of
context, I would guess that this would be someone who doesn't have an alarm
clock, and has to wake him/herself up all the time. If you did use
{vem'eghmoHtaHwI'} to represent another meaning, you would first have to
explain what you meant by the term.

We don't have many words dealing with abstract Klingon religious and
philosophical ideas. A good way to practice and learn Klingon would be to
talk about physical things, for which we have more vocabulary. For example,
describe everyday activities that interest you, such as feeding a pet, going
on vacation, or fighting a Klingon in a duel. I can help if you have
questions or problems saying these ideas in Klingon.

Qapla'

- taD