tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 08 08:32:38 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: yaS wa'DIch (n)

: Klingon word:   yaS wa'DIch
: Part of Speech: noun
: Definition:     first officer

   ... regardless of their official ranks, those closest to the captain
   of a ship are called {yaS wa'DIch} (first officer) and {yaS cha'DIch
   (second officer). Unlike the terms associated with specific duties,
   however, these may be used as titles as well. It is correct to say
   both {qImlaq yaS wa'DIch} (First Officer K'mlak) and {yaS wa'DIch
   ghaH qImlaq la''e'} (Commander K'mlak is first officer). (KGT 53)

  "A ritual of a less majestic sort occurs on a Klingon vessel when a
   new set of officers takes over and a mission is about to begin.
   With the bridge crew assembled but the captain not yet present, the
   first officer states his or her name and then says {DaH yaS wa'DIch
   vIgheS} "I now take my place as first officer." ("Now I assume the
   responsibilities of first officer" or, literally, "Now I assume the
   responsibilities of first officer.") (KGT 183ff.)

As used in canon:

  Qagh yaS wa'DIch
  The first officer errs. KGT

  QaH yaS wa'DIch