tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 25 23:59:59 2001

RE: Research question concerning negation

It occurs to me that Daniella would do well to spend some time studying
{-Ha'} if she wants to see Klingon negation get interesting. Since it
indicates two different kinds of negation, either reversing the action of a
verb {QeyHa'}, or indicating that the action is done badly {yajHa'}. Compare
each to the simple negation of {-be'} and there is a definite difference
between {QeyHa'} and {Qeybe'} ("loose" vs. "not tight") and between {yajHa'}
and {yajbe'} ("misunderstand" vs. "not understand").

The other sticky point about negation is the argument I lost about how
{-be'} should always negate only the syllable immediately preceeding it.
Most of the time, this is true, but at least once in canon Okrand used it to
negate EVERYTHING in the sentence before the {-be'}, and there is nothing in
the description of {-be'} in TKD that limits the scope of how much of the
sentence before {-be'} is affected by it.

Sustel argued quite successfully about this canon example I don't remember
now. Others joined in. I remember that Okrand was basically negating the
adverb, though this example occurred before he established that we could use
{-Ha'} on adverbs, so it might well be that the earlier example was merely a
bad attempt to accomplish what adding {-Ha'} to the adverb does more
clearly. Whatever the case, it does open the door to a lot of very messy use
of negation in Klingon.

But such is life. Okrand doesn't want it to be pristine.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level