tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 11 07:22:41 2001

RE: -vo'

-----

>SarrIS:
>> [much snipped]
>> Qe' Hurvo' Qe'Daq Qanqor vIlegh. "I was outside the restaurant and I saw
>> Krankor in the restaurant."

>I thought {Qe'Daq Qanqor vIlegh} can only mean "I was at the restaurant,
>and I saw Krankor", and not "I saw Krankor, who was in the restaurant
>(i.e. I may be outside the window)".  Isn't {-Daq} marking the place
>where the {legh}ing is taking place, or is there some rule that says
>it could be attached to {Qanqor} in the above?

This is the whole point of this thread. For most verbs, what you say is
true. Meanwhile, others have argued successfully that the locative for the
verb {legh} can indicate the location of the direct object of the verb. I'm
trying to resolve that.

>I read your sentence as {[Qe' Hurvo' Qe']Daq Qanqor vIlegh} "I saw
>Krankor at the 'restaurant from the outside of a restaurant'".
>Could {Qe' Hurvo' Qe'} be the name of the establishment?

{-vo'} is like {-Daq} in that it gives the location reference of the verb,
not to a noun without a verb. Some people refer to this as the "Cat in the
hat" problem. Without a verb, you can't translate "cat in the hat" because
{mIvDaq} gives the location of some action, not of the cat itself.

--
>De'vID

SarrIS

Back to archive top level