tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 07 10:08:51 2001

RE: klbc:

Lisa said:

> jaj law' jIDachtaH 'ach DaH jIchegh..
>         (It's been a while that I've been absent but
>         Now I'm returning.)

maj. bIcheghmo', maDo'.

> jIghoj 'ej jIchen'eghmoH.

{jIchen'eghmoH} translates to "I make myself take form". It sounds poetic,
but I didn't understand what you meant until I read the English version
below. It's up to you whether you'd want to try a more straight-forward
phrase or not.

> tlhIngan Hol vIHaDlaHbe' 'ej
> 'e' vIlIj 'a' 'e' vIHaDqa'.
>         (I've learned and been growing (as a person).
>         I wasn't able to study Klingon and have
>         Forgotten it but am studying it again.)

In these two cases, you don't want to use the pronoun {'e'}. {'e'} refers to
the previous sentence as a whole, not just a previous object. So what you
said in Klingon was "I couldn't study Klingon and I forgot (that I couldn't
study Klingon), but I'm studying (that I couldn't study Klingon) again".
You really want to say "I've forgotten Klingon" and "I'm studying Klingon
again", so you would just use the pronoun {'oH} ("it"). Unless you want to
emphasize the word "it", you can also leave out the pronoun {'oH}. You would
just say {... 'ej vIlIj, 'a vIHaDqa'} ("...and I forgot it, but I'm studying
it again").

There's a typo here - you misspelled {'a} as *{'a'}.

> <Lisa> 'oH pongwIj 'e'.  muqaw'a' vay'?  Dach'a' juppu'wIj?

You don't want a space between {pongwIj} and the noun suffix {-'e'}. (This
suffix {-'e'} is not the same as the pronoun {'e'}).
Also, as ghunchu'wI' pointed out, you should use the noun suffix {-wI'}
rather than {-wIj} on {juppu'} ("friends").

Qapla'!

- taD

Back to archive top level