tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 28 20:05:26 2001

RE: KLBC-Reflexive verb suffixes

yeygha' said:

> I was just looking at the suffixes that make a verb reflexive, and I was
> wondering how you would incorporate an indirect object (I think that's
> what it would be) into the sentence.  For example:
>
> {jIpe'pu''egh} I have cut myself.

Don't forget to check the suffix order. Since {-'egh} is a type-1 verb
suffix, and {-pu'} is a type-7 verb suffix,  {-'egh} goes before {-pu'}.

> What if I wanted to say that I cut myself with a knife? Several
> possibilities spring to mind:

The options that you've considered here all work, with subtle differences in
meaning.
Keep in mind that {pe''egh} also means "keep score", since apparently
Klingons would use marks/scratches on an arm in order to record victories.

> {tajmo' jIpe'pu''egh}
> I have cut myself because of the knife.

Again, just remember that the suffix {-'egh} goes before {-pu'}.

> {taj vIqengvIS jIH jIpe'pu''egh}
> While I was carrying the knife, I cut myself.

Whenever we use the verb suffix {-vIS} ("while"), we also use the suffix
{-taH}:
{vIqengtaHvIS} "While I was carrying it."

Since you included the pronoun {jIH}, you've emphasized that it was *you*
who was carrying the knife, and not someone else. This is a good distinction
to make in this case.

> Or would it be some *other* construction that I haven't even thought of?

I would probably have used the second construction that you used.
As Patrick pointed out, depending on the context, you could also focus on
the knife performing the action:
{jIQaghmo' mupe' taj} "Because I made an error, the knife cut me."
If you include the adverbial {bong} ("accidentally"), it would also be more
clear that you accidentally cut yourself, and weren't "keeping score".

- taD